Do you want to create the perfect comfort food for dinner? Why not make a delicious lasagna? This classic dish is a hit! Everyone adores it. Let us tell you, before you start looking for the perfect recipe for lasagna. This lasagna will be loved by your entire family!
What you’ll need:
- Cremini mushrooms, 1 1/2 pounds, roughly chopped
- Half a pound of shiitake mushrooms, chopped roughly
- 1 large cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup extra virgin oil and more to keep the noodles from sticking together
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped (approximately 4 teaspoons).
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 can (28-ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepperflakes
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 boxes (10-ounces) frozen chopped spinach. Thaw and squeeze in excess moisture.
- 1 lb lasagna noodles (16-20 noodles)
- 1 (15-or-16-ounce) container of ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 pound Parmesan cheese or Pecorino cheese, grated (approximately 1 cup).
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese (4 cups).
- First, sauté the mushrooms in a large (6-8-quart) saucepan on medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to stir them or shake the pan occasionally. They might squeak, but that’s perfectly normal. Sprinkle salt on the mushrooms. The mushrooms will begin to sizzle and then release water. Stir in the chopped onions once they have started to release water. Cook the mushrooms until they stop releasing water and the water is boiled. This may take up to 5 minutes.
- Make the sauce by placing the onions and mushrooms in a saucepan and adding the olive oil. Stir the mushrooms until they are coated. Sauté the onions and mushrooms for about a minute before adding the garlic. Allow it to cook for another minute. Mix in the tomato paste. Cook for another minute. The remaining tomato sauce should be kept separate. This will make the casserole dish more filling. Add the rest of the tomato sauce to the pot along with the mushrooms. The large can of crushed tomatoes, and 1 cup water should be added.
- Mix in the sugar, thyme and red pepper flakes. Add dried basil if you are using it instead of fresh. Bring the mixture to boil, then reduce the heat. Let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes on low heat.
- After the sauce has simmered, add the dried lasagna noodles to boiling water. Mix gently to ensure that the noodles don’t stick together. Cook the noodles for 8 minutes, or as long as the package specifies. Once the noodles are ready, drain them into a colander. Rinse with cool water. After they are rinsed, separate the noodles with your fingers.
- Spread a tablespoon olive oil on a few large cookies or baking sheets. Spread the lasagna noodles onto the baking sheets. This will prevent them from sticking together.
- Now let’s get to the assembly. Turn off the heat in the sauce and heat the oven to 350F. Place the reserved tomato sauce in a casserole dish measuring approximately 10×15 inches. Layer lasagna noodles on top of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle half the ricotta cheese on top of the noodles. Half of the defrosted, drained, and squeezed spinach should be placed over the ricotta. Sprinkle half the mozzarella cheese on top of the spinach. Only a quarter of pecorino cheese is needed. Spread 1/3 of the mushroom sauce on top. Sprinkle half the fresh basil on top of the mushroom sauce.
- These steps can be repeated to create layers. Noodles, ricotta and spinach with mozzarella, pecorino, mushroom sauce, and mozzarella. Layer three will be noodles with sauce on top, then sauce and noodles with sauce. Finally, sprinkle some parmesan or pecorino cheese.
- Bake the pan covered with foil. To prevent foil from sticking, drizzle olive oil on the foil. Bake at 350F for 25 mins, then remove the foil and bake covered for another 25 minutes. After it is done baking, remove the lasagna from the oven. Let it cool for 10 minutes before cutting it and serving.